I haven’t had enough of an attention span to write a full post lately, but since plenty of things have been bouncing around in my head that aren’t full post-worthy, I figured I’d just lump them all together into one. I feel like a bit of a fraud doing that, as it drives me crazy whenever Dan Shaughnessy does it (just screams “I’m on deadline and don’t have any baseball conspiracy theories to write about today”), but here goes, nevertheless.
1. Global warming sucks. I can’t help but laugh when I see headlines and tweets from the Boston Globe talking about a heat wave that “may last up to six days.” I’ve been in Boston for heat waves both this year and last, and yeah, they’re bad – especially without central air. But a heat wave of temps above 90? For the last three summers in DC, that’s basically described the four-month stretch between May and September. Today was the 27th day above 90 — and 7th above 100! — this year. 90 now feels “temperate” to me. At 85 degrees, I’m practically looking for a sweater. (And yes, I know that I write/complain about the weather too much.)
2. I wish Tom Cruise weren’t so weird. Rock on, Katie Holmes, for leaving him and his wacko religion behind. I’m optimistic now about the possibility of a Dawson’s Creek reunion, even. But a whole bunch of movies that I used to love has been kind of ruined for me by this strange, now failed, marriage. Am I really supposed to watch Cocktail, Top Gun, and Jerry Maguire and not think about how weird he is?
3. People keep telling me that we should go to the movies while we can, before the baby’s born and we don’t want to pay a babysitter a small ransom so we can go see some crappy movie for two hours. But it doesn’t seem like there are any good movies out! What should we see?
4. Corollary: what should we put in the Netflix queue for sleepless nights this fall? I still have the set of Arrested Development DVDs to watch, but I’m now pretty much caught up on Parks and Rec and have grown tired of Modern Family…
5. One show I do know we’ll be watching in September and October: Homeland. I can’t wait for it to come back, and I’m anxiously awaiting when Showtime will start re-airing Season 1 in prep for Season 2. Episode 7 (“The Weekend”) had to be one of the five best hours of TV that I’ve seen — and that’s going up against episodes like the finale of the Wonder Years, “Krazee Eyes Killa” from Curb, and the entire first season of Friday Night Lights. Let me go on record now as saying that if Claire Danes doesn’t win best actress in a drama at the Emmys this year, there is no justice.
5. Patriots training camp opens a week from tomorrow. Thankfully I wear a Wilfork jersey for games, so there’s a chance that it will still fit me by the time opening day rolls around on September 9. Now if I can just figure out how to put together a lucky fatty football menu that fits with the gallbladder diet. Hmmm….
6. Maybe we’ll just serve a variety of juices? Mike and Liz gave me a high-powered juicer last year as my graduation gift, and B and I have belatedly gotten into the habit. Who knew concoctions of spinach, cucumber, apples, oranges, and strawberries could taste so good?
7. I’m glad now that I never developed a Chick-Fil-A habit. Enough said.
8. Why do the Red Sox even bother playing the first inning? Just spot the other team 2-3 runs and skip ahead to the 2nd inning and make the game shorter.
There — I’ve fulfilled my Shaughnessy requirement of making at least one Sox comment in a rambling post, so I guess that’s it from me for tonight. Time to go find another work-appropriate outfit for temperatures above 95.