I haven’t been keeping up with my gratitude journal of late (um, since maternity leave a year and a half ago), despite knowing that it is a more-than-worthy exercise that has the power to fundamentally alter my outlook. But so does sleep, and lately (for the last year and a half), sleep has been winning.
But. Today was a good day — a good enough day that I should actually write some stuff down and be grateful for it. Because there have been too many craptastic days in recent months for too many people who are too close to my heart, and I need the world to keep bringing the good stuff.
1. A good friend — who helped me in many ways through my recurrence — got a negative (in a good way) pathology report from a recent thyroid lobectomy. She’s been keeping an eye on her thyroid for a couple of years and now she can breathe much easier knowing the nodule was benign.
2. Another good friend got a new job — one that comes with lots and lots of benefits, not the least of which is leaving the old job behind. Here’s to new challenges inside new walls.
3. Friends who also became neighbors left us a key to their place while they’re on vacation so we can do our laundry and avoid the laundromat until our washer and dryer get hooked back up. Teddy and his mountain of watermelon-stained clothes thank them.
4. Someone gave me a seat on the Metro. No, I’m not yet at the point where I absolutely need it — I’ll ask for it once I get there — but after walking uphill to the train station in the 105-degree heat index, I’ll take it. (This is a good things post, so I’ll save you from my rant about people who stare at my belly while sitting in the “preferred” seats.)
5. Happy, happy pictures posted on Facebook of two big brothers meeting their little sister for the first time. My heart melted a little when I saw them. Those little faces, so full of joy.
6. Teddy woke up happy. He usually does, on most days. But last night he went to bed so decidedly out of sorts that I wasn’t sure what today would hold. Instead, it started with smiles. And that makes the start to pretty much any day pretty good.