Three things I loved this week:
- The hipster cocktail party station on Pandora. Despite the fact that I am neither a hipster nor throwing cocktail parties anytime soon. It’s perfect music for cooking, and while it really does demand a glass of cold white wine or a martini, a non-alcoholic club soda and juice with a lime drink does okay in a pinch.
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s quote: “I had a life partner who thought my work was as important as his, and I think that made all the difference for me.” So true. I’m fortunate to be in the same position – though I can’t imagine having married someone who didn’t value my work (even if he doesn’t exactly read every paper I edit on the federal budget).
- The first episode I watched of “Chasing Life.” I’m catching on late to this series about a 24-year-old journalist (in Boston!) living with and through a cancer diagnosis. At first I thought it was schmaltzy (though, hello! Faye from Wings is the grandmother!), but a scene about how she wanted to share her diagnosis (or not) with her co-workers struck a chord with me. It’s no 50/50, but it seems like it’s worth catching up through On Demand.
Three things I learned this week:
- I went to the No. 1 party school in America and live in the country’s coolest city. What can I say, I’m a trendsetter.
- Soon, Pinterest may rival Google as a search engine, according to Fresh Air. And you thought Pinterest was just created to make you feel bad about your lack of creativity.
- How to create (and launch) a Facebook page for the blog! What, you say, you haven’t been to the FB page for A Storybook Life? Well, what are you waiting for? (It only took me four years to post anything about the blog on FB, and now I’m jumping in with both feet. It’s a little scary, but scary-good. I think.)
Three things I was thankful for this week:
- Compression socks. These babies, which I used to help with the ridiculous elephant-leg swelling I had with Teddy, are keeping my annoying restless leg syndrome at bay. They are miracle workers in opaque white, very tight lycra. They look fabulous with my getting-too-small t-shirts and low-slung running shorts as my current bedtime outfit. Pregnancy is so glamorous. (Hey, at least I haven’t resorted to the Breathe Right strips and eye mask I used the last time, too…yet.)
- An email from a long-ago friend who read my post about my annoying gallbladder diet – who turns out to herself be dealing with gallstones during her second pregnancy. Reinforcing, again, that we’re all in this together. (And the corollary, that I’m not crazy to think that this diet blows.)
- Being added to the “Ten Things of Thankful” blog hop. It’s a chance to link these Three Good Things posts to a whole group of other weekly gratitude blogs. It’s a great chance to find new readers, yes, but for me, it’s also an uplifting exercise to see what other people were thankful for this week — and to remind me that I can be on the lookout for some of the same things in my own life.
And in this week’s installment of Listen to Your Mother videos, I give you Ann Imig, the creator of Listen to Your Mother. I thought this one was on the money for a post about gratitude.
What did you love, learn, and feel thankful for this week?